Quick Exit

What do I do if I think my former partner is selling assets?

There is nothing necessarily wrong with selling assets. The relevant questions are:

  • what is the effect of selling a particular asset?; and
  • what will your spouse do with the sale proceeds?

If you think your ex-spouse will harm your chances of obtaining a fair property settlement by selling assets, you can apply to the Family Court for an injunction to stop the sale, or manage the sale process.

Alternatively, you can allow the sale to proceed but seek an order to preserve the proceeds pending final settlement. You can also seek an order to release some of the monies to you by way of partial property settlement, spousal maintenance or a contribution towards your legal fees.

Not the FAQ you’re looking for? View all FAQs.