Quick Exit

Do I have to pay child support?

The law states that both parents have a duty to support their children financially until they reach the age of 18.The amount payable is governed by the Child Support Assessment Act and administered by Child Support Agency and takes into account ‘care percentage’, ‘cost percentage’ and costs of raising each child. Each family and child’s needs are different so you can apply to CSA to amend the amount payable.

If you would prefer to make a private agreement between yourself and your former spouse, you should seek legal advice to ensure the agreement is binding.

Not the FAQ you’re looking for? View all FAQs.