Quick Exit

Can I apply for a divorce?

For the court to have jurisdiction, one party must satisfy at least two of the following:

  • You regard Australia as your home
  • You intend to live indefinitely in Australia
  • You have lived in Australia your entire life
  • You are an Australian citizen
  • You have lived in Australia for 12 months immediately before filing your divorce application

You must show the Family Court that:

  • You have been separated for a period of at least 12 months; and
  • There is no chance of reconciliation
  • If it has been less than two years since you married and you want to apply for divorce, you must obtain a counselling certificate or provide an affidavit to the Family Court requesting permission to file your divorce application

Note: in relation to your period of separation of one year, if you have lived together as husband and wife for 1 period of up to 3 months after separating then you can use the periods of separation before and after living together again as husband and wife to calculate the required 12 months’ separation for divorce.


Not the FAQ you’re looking for? View all FAQs.